Panorama  |  Rockpool  |  Monument  |  King Edwards Bay  |  Prior's Haven  |  Priory Haven2  |  The Priory  |  lighthouse  |  Front Street  |  Station
Plaza4  |  Wild Parrot  |  Museum  |  Aerial view  |  The Sealife Centre  |  Cullercoats Bay  |  Return to Tynemouth front page


The Tynemouth Plaza was opened in 1878 as the Aquarium and Winter Garden. The central block had an arched glass roof over an elegant winter garden, with large aquarium below. Lower still , at beach level a refreshment bar and promenade was located. On either side of the main block was a five storey tower to provide further refreshment rooms. On the seaward side was an open-air skating rink capable of being flooded for use as a seawater bathing pool. In 1890 the building was renamed-The Palace and the winter garden was converted to a theatre. The glass roof was replaced with corrugated iron. In 1996 a fire destroyed the once magnificent building and what remained had to be demolished.