Home  |  Whitley Bay of Old  |  School view. 22 April 2004  |  Rear view. 22 April 2004  |  Front view. 22 April 2004

  Click for enlarged front and rear  views

The Spanish City Whitley Bay England

The Spanish City was opened in 1910 and designed by Robert Burns Dick who was also the architect for  Newcastle's Laing Art Gallery. It earned its name in 1904 when Charles Elderton, who ran Hebburn's Theatre Royal. He brought his Toreadors concert party troupe to perform there. The Spanish City became  the Empress Ballroom in 1920. In 1979 the Retundar Ballroom was converted into the starlight rooms for live entertainment

Plans are to demolish the rear fairground and update the Dome.